Sunday, April 14, 2024

AECP Level 3 - Rethink Reinkers

I was so excited to take this class.  I have a lot of reinkers for both my ink pads and for my alcohol markers.  This class gave me some great ideas on how I can use these to make wonderful backgrounds for my cards.  And you can match colors easily by doing this.

I decided to make one card using alcohol reinkers and one using dye ink reinkers. 


Card #1 – Alcohol Reinkers 

For my first card, I used the Altenew Chestnut Tree Layering Die Set.  And instead of doing just a background, I also created panels to use in die cutting this tree.  I used Craft Plastic for my “paper” because I did not have any Yupo paper and this was great surface for the inks to sit on rather than soaking quickly into the paper.

 


The process I used for this was that I cut panels for each layer so I could do different colors.  I also cut a 5 ½ x 4 ¼ panel for my background as well.  I used my swatch sheet to look for colors for each layer.

 


I dropped a few drops of each color I chose for that panel around the panel.  Since this is plastic, the alcohol ink sat in place.  I then sprayed the panel with 91% alcohol to get the ink moving.  I also used an Alcohol Ink Blower to move the ink around more.

 




As the ink dried, I would add more ink in areas where it was lacking and repeat the process.  However, once the ink dries and you spritz with alcohol, it pulls the ink back into tiny drops and you need to add quite a bit of alcohol to move it around with the air blower unless you want that pooled up look.  I wanted a smoother look so I moved it around.

 


The best advice I can give here is to play around with it and practice.  I learned a lot by just trying different patterns, adding ink on top of ink, etc.  The possibilities are endless.

 

The ink colors (All Altenew Alcohol Reinkers) used for each panel were as follows:

 

Tree base – Yellow Ochre, Pumpkin Pie, Sicilian Amber and Butternut

Base Layer of leaves – Coral Bliss, Fresh Lemon and Parrot


Second Layer of leaves – Vanilla Cream, Coral Berry, Heart Beat and Autumn Blaze


Top Layer of leaves – Pink Pearl, Maple Yello, Citrus Burst and Frosty Pink

A2 Panel background – Sea Glass, Iceberg, Eastern Sky, Frayed Leaf, Firefly and Grass Field


After all panels were what I wanted, I let them dry and then die cut them.  I ran them through my die cut machine 3 times and was very careful in removing to not tear anything.  If any ink was left on my dies, I used alcohol to clean it up, as well as using alcohol to clean up my glass mat.

 


This die set used the key hole system which allow you to match the key hole to perfectly layer you die cuts.  I popped up the second layer of leaves with foam tape to give the whole thing a little dimension.


For the sentiment, I used the Altenew Bold Thanks Die Set.  I cut the shadow from some brown cardstock and the letters from some left overs from making the tree.  I added a few leaves confetti from my stash and although they are maple leaves, I think they look awesome and really add to the fall feel!

 



I did end up cutting my A2 panel to 5 ¼ x 4 and mounted on a white note card base.

 


This card was so fun to make.  I can’t wait to try more of these types of cards using my alcohol reinkers!!!

 

Products Used:

Altenew Chestnut Tree Layering Die Set

Altenew Bold Thanks Die Set

Altenew Alcohol Reinkers - Yellow Ochre, Pumpkin Pie, Sicilian Amber, Butternut, Coral Bliss, Fresh Lemon, Parrot, Vanilla Cream, Coral Berry, Heart Beat, Autumn Blaze, Pink Pearl, Maple Yello, Citrus Burst, Frosty Pink, Sea Glass, Iceberg, Eastern Sky, Frayed Leaf, Firefly and Grass Field

Craft Plastic

Alcohol Ink Air Blower

Maple Leaf Confetti

White A2 card base

Brown cardstock from stash

Bearly Art Glue

Foam Tape

 

Card #2:

For my second card, I used dye ink reinkers.  As I started working on my design, I really stepped out of my norm for this.

 


I started by using the Altenew Rose Buds Stencil and Die Set.  I stenciled these flowers and realized quickly, they were certainly different than the soft flowers I usually do.  I see these as more Pop Art flowers (at least by my personal definition).  And I did not know what to do with them.  I die cut them out and set them aside.

 

I started flipping through my Altenew supplies and found an older paper pad I had.  This particular paper really spoke to me as coordinating with the pinks and purples I had used.  It had a huge black area (almost like an eye) in the middle, so I got the idea of creating a panel for the middle of my card.

 

So I got out my dye based reinkers in pinks, purples and a light blue.  I put a couple of drops of each color on my glass mat and also put some water on my surface.  I used a small brayer to pick up some water, then some dye ink and then rolled it onto an A2 white card panel.  I repeated this with each color, making a very interesting panel. 

 


Before cleaning up each color, I dipped a second A2 white panel to clean up the left over ink, so I have a bonus panel to use later.

 


I felt my panel had some good colors to tie my flowers to my background panel, so I decided to tear the edges and then I added embossing ink to the edges.  I embossed using a light pink embossing powder.  Then I used the “for you” sentiment from the Altenew Handmade Tags Stamp Set.  I embossed using sparkly black embossing powder.

 


I cut my background panel to 5 3/8 x 4 1/8 and attached to a white card base.  Then I glued my inked and embossed panel onto that.  Next I popped up the flowers on foam tape.  Last, I added some light purple confetti for a little added pop.


This project was definitely a stretch.  Overall, I like how it turned out and I have the perfect person I plan to send this too.  They will love all the colors!  Will I do something like this again?  Who knows.  I love the reinker panel, but the pop art look may just not be my style.  However, I do believe our style evolves over time, so this may be a step to the next change in mine.  LOL.

 


Products Used:

Altenew Rose Buds Stencil and Die Set

Altenew Handmade Tags Stamp Set

Hammermill White 100 lb. Cardstock

A2 white card base

Catherine Pooler Ink Pads - Grape Crush, Pixie Dust, Cotton Candy, Party Dress, Lime Rickey, Grass Skirt

Catherine Pooler Reinkers – Grape Crush, Pixie Dust, Cotton Candy, Party Dress, Cummerbund

Brutus Monroe Mic Drop Embossing Powder

Brutus Monroe Light Pink Embossing Powder

Brutus Monroe Embossing Ink

Light Purple confetti

Bearly Art Glue

 

 

I hope you will try using more of your reinkers outside of the traditional use.  Experiment and have fun, I know I plan to do lots more experimenting!!

 

Happy Crafting.

Donna T.

1 comment:

AECP Level 3 Botanical Illustration Inspired Watercolor

When I was picking my final classes, this class was something that I really wanted to take, but really scared me.  I’ve never been a painter...