Wednesday, May 8, 2024

AECP Level 3 Botanical Illustration Inspired Watercolor

When I was picking my final classes, this class was something that I really wanted to take, but really scared me.  I’ve never been a painter other than slapping on some paint and maybe a tiny bit of blending.  I think some of that comes from the fact that I get too impatient to spend the time with making the beautiful pieces that the excellent watercolor painters make.

But the instructor, Jaycee Gaspar, is such an inspiring artist, I decided to give this a try.  I would highly recommend this class as he starts from the beginning with techniques and works you through botanical illustrations.

My final project is something I really like.  I don’t think it is perfect, but it showed me that I could make flowers look more realistic.  And with practice, I am sure I can get better.  It also showed me that I can slow down and really spend some time in painting and can find it very relaxing.


But enough about me.  In today’s blog, I won’t be telling you a lot of techniques but going through some of the tips I learned to help me not be so scared next time.

I started today with the Altenew Watercolor Paper Set – 5x7 and stamped the Altenew Craft Your Life Project Kit:  Feathered Lilies using Altenew Crisp Dye Ink – Morning Frost .  I used this ink as it is a light gray and would give me a no-line look in the end.

After stamping this, I took the panel and I used a low-tack tape to adhere to an acrylic clipboard.  I taped almost completely around, only skipping where the stamped image was close to the edge.  In the class, Jaycee recommended stapling to a wood board (with plenty of space to cut out when done).  Securing this will help to keep your paper from warping.

I like the acrylic clipboard as it is easy to move around while painting.  It is also what I had available and my panel was flat when done. 

I used the Altenew Watercolor 36 Pan Set  and the Altenew Fine Watercolor Brushes for my painting.  I swatched out each coloring.  In the class it was recommended to swatch each color combination if mixed, but I only did that for the ones I was using today.

I found today’s watercoloring relaxing.  My petals are similar to the flower I had, but I do know they are different in some ways as well.  I had bought the flowers and let them sit for a couple of days.  Some of the brown from the stamen had transferred to the petals and I did not want that in my petals on my project. 


I also found that when I asked my 2 daughters, they saw different primary colors than what I saw.  So, I do believe that some of this is based on who is looking at the flower and the project.  Overall, I do feel that I was able to mix some primary colors of the flower and leaves and come up with a better painting than I have ever done.  And honestly, nobody is going to compare my card to the exact flower I had......so I am pleased that my card looks a little realistic.

I did set the painting aside for a few days and did a little touch-up after that.  

My next question was, should I die cut this out or should I paint around it or just leave it and cut it down.  I ended up die cutting.  Then I took a card base (5” x 6.5”) and added violet and pink passion splatter over it.  After that dried, I attached the flower image on foam tape.

I picked the Hugs sentiment from the Altenew Versatile Greetings Die Set .  I picked out several pieces from my scrap pile to find which color I wanted to used for the hugs sentiment and the shadow.

I adhered this on foam and added a few jewels.

I am very happy with this card.  And I will be trying some more watercoloring.  I will just make sure that I have plenty of time so that I can enjoy the process and the relaxing aspects of watercoloring.

 

Happy Crafting.

Donna T.

 

 

 

Products Used:

 

Altenew Craft Your Life Project Kit:  Feathered Lilies

Altenew Versatile Greetings Die Set

Altenew Watercolor 36 Pan Set

Altenew Fine Watercolor Brushes

Altenew Crisp Dye Ink – Morning Frost

Altenew Instant Dimension Foam Tape

Altenew Watercolor Paper Set – 5x7

5 x 6.5 White Card base

Colored cardstock from stash

Jewels from stash

Brutus Monroe Aqua Splash – Violet

Brutus Monroe Shimmer Splash – Pink Passion

Stamping platform

Watercolor Palette

Low tack Tape

Acrylic clipboard or some other hard surface




5 comments:

  1. These look so beautiful! Can't wait to take this class and give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great learning experience......I was nervous at first, but ended up really enjoying it.

      Delete

Alcohol Ink Flowers – AECP Level 3 Final Project

**** WARNING – This is a very long post about my journey with AECP **** When I started the Altenew Educator Certification Program, I thoug...