Wednesday, November 22, 2023

AECP Level 2 - With a Twist

Today's course was called "With a Twist".  This was a great class to learn about different ways you can use techniques you already know and do today but in a different way (or with a twist).

My focus for today's card was a section called "Cutting It Oddly".  I really love odd shapes and odd cuts, so this was something that really sparked an interest.  But this card did not go in the direction I had planned.  That is ok, I still really enjoyed making something different.

I started today with the Altenew Garden Trellis Cover Die and cut this in white cardstock.  I adhered this to my navy A2 card base with some glue.  

Next I marked off where I wanted to cut a triangle out from this trellis.  I mark this off because when I get it in the trimmer, I am likely to get to the wrong section.  Then I used the paper trimmer to cut out a triangle only on the top panel.  This will now show the inside bottom part.

I decided I wanted to use my hot foil machine and I used the Altenew Linear Life: Tropical Garden set to foil some flowers and leaves.  I wanted the flowers in dark blue and the leaves in green.  I was struggling to get the right foiling settings for this and was not sure what I wanted to do.  Then I got an idea.

I had just received a hot foil plate so I could use my negative pieces.  So I took my flowers and my leaves and put the negative pieces on some white card stock.  I really like how these turned out!!  I then die cut all my flowers and leaves.

I now took my card base and opened it up.  I stamped some flowers and leaves on the bottom so it would peek through the triangle that was cut out on front.  I used a post-it note to mask off the areas where needed.  I used my copic marker to color in the middle area.

Now came assembly time.  I laid out the flowers and leaves and started gluing them all together to make a panel of flowers/leaves. 

Then I put foam tape on the back of all this.  I glued on a previously foiled sentiment from the Altenew Essential Sentiments Bundle and then put my flowers on top of this.

I originally thought I wanted the pop of white of the flowers with a blue outline, but I do really like how these tone on tone flowers look on this card.  I would love to hear what you think.

Happy Crafting.

Donna T.


Products Used:

Altenew Garden Trellis Cover Die 


Altenew Linear Life: Tropical Garden

Altenew Essential Sentiments Bundle

Catherine Pooler Ink - Juniper Mist
Catherine Pooler Ink - Grass Skirt
Copic Marker - B39
Waffle Flower 5x6 Foil Plate
Navy A2 Card Base
A2 White card panels
Deco Foil Hot Foil - Twilight
Glimmer Hot Foil Variety Pack - Green Foil
Stamping Platform
Crafter's Companion Hotfoil Press
Crafter's Companion Gemini II
Foam Tape
Bearly Art Glue
Tape Runner
Paper trimmer
Post It Note


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic card, Donna. I really like the technique and colors too!

    ReplyDelete

AECP Level 3 Botanical Illustration Inspired Watercolor

When I was picking my final classes, this class was something that I really wanted to take, but really scared me.  I’ve never been a painter...